- Sparks of the Meltdown | Talking Points Memo
"locked in for a ride with an emotionally unstable man whose personal insecurities and instinctive racism now seem only to be accelerating"
(tags: drumpf fuckwits usa politics )
- From Parthian chicken to flat breads: experimenting with a Roman oven | British Museum blog
Alright, but apart from the sanitation, the medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, the fresh-water system, and tagines....
(tags: food history cooking incrediblyobscurereference )
- Anti-Choice Groups Use Smartphone Surveillance to Target 'Abortion-Minded Women' During Clinic Visits | Rewire
And it will only get worse from here on out.
(tags: advertising surveillance sousveillance technology livinginthefuture feminism religion fuckwits whyfacebooksucks )
- wunami comments on "Write drunk; edit sober." - Ernest Hemingway | reddit
pajh's Rules for Life #11 is: "Write while you're still angry. Edit when you're sober. Publish when you're sure". Turns out I probably didn't invent it after all (but then, neither did Hemingway). I should probably be paying a little more attention to pajh's Rules for Life #5.
(tags: writing lifehack )
- I Wrote Drunk And Edited Sober For A Week, And Here’s What Happened To My Work | Bustle
Speaking of Rule #11. "Don’t do this unless you are a highly qualified functioning alcoholic".
(tags: booze writing blogging )
- The Incredible Story of NASA's Forgotten 'Rocket Girls' | ThinkProgress
"They worked alongside famous figures like Carl Sagan, Wernher von Braun, and Richard Feynman, and they were ultimately essential to the discoveries that made those men household names."
(tags: computing feminism history spaaace )
- Photos: SDL Outnumbered in Glasgow, Before Being Dumped in Pub on High Street | A Thousand Flowers
Stay classy, Glasgow
(tags: fuckwits Scotland racism )
- Cyberpunk Anime: A Huge List of Everything | Exolymph
TODO: 1) install superfast fibre broadband 2) take several weeks off work
(tags: cyberpunk tv movies nerd )
- McConnell Repeatedly Refuses To Say Trump's Attack On Judge Is Racist | Talking Points Memo
This is how politics works.
(tags: news racism fuckwits politics USA drumpf )
- Star Trek Beyond Trailer #2 (2016) | YouTube
I watched it with the sound off, which is the best way to appreciate Abramsverse Trek, and was satisfied. Then I watched it with the sound on and HOLY SHIT they might actually have made a good Star Trek movie. At the very least, they seem to be developing their own plots. (You just know that Pegg was responsible.) My default policy, as always, is cautious optimism.
(tags: scifi movies startrek nerd )
- Sting of Myself - The New Yorker
How it works in US politics. "The Watergate burglars look good compared to these guys[...] These guys can’t even figure out how to use an Internet browser, let alone conduct an undercover operation".
(tags: activism journalism fuckwits tech politics usa bloodytories )
- Fear and fascination with a basic income | SWI swissinfo.ch
"an elderly party member[...] was worried about losing her cleaning lady" if she had UBI.
(tags: basicincome politics economy activism europe )
- "Rocky" Theme performed in North Korea - Moranbong Band | YouTube
Apparently DPRK's most popular girlband. They're quite good.
(tags: silly music video )
- All Twisted Up by Gender Bending | The New York Times
This stuff shouldn't bother us, but clearly it still does. At least the distinction between sex and gender is getting some play in the MSM. But the thinking here is still distressingly binary.
(tags: gender sexuality identity intersectionality )
- All the people who have accidentally mispronounced Jeremy Hunt's name on live TV or radio | YouTube
(tags: silly video politics fuckwits bloodytories )
- The Most Completely Insane Thing I’ve Ever Seen In a Cinema. — Medium
"The exec I was talking to sighed, leaned forward, and explained to me that according BBC Scotland that “Scottish people” are more working class and less educated than English people and, therefore, would feel intimidated and patronised if they watched a sitcom that mentioned philosophers, whereas English people can cope with more “cerebral” comedy without feeling as though they’re being made to feel stupid. So if I was going to pitch a script to BBC Scotland then I would have to make sure it was Glasgow, preferably male, centric and with no references to anything that could be construed as “intellectual” or cultured otherwise it would get immediately discarded." This makes a disturbing amount of sense.
(tags: scottishcringe scotland media comedy northofwatford bloodytories )
- The Forbidden Forest | Orion Magazine
The Zone Rouge at Verdun. "At the current rate of clearance it is a conservative estimate that the Département du Déminage will still be finding these weapons nine hundred years from now." Sobering.
(tags: history ecology )
- Du Hast (a cappella) - Viva Vox | YouTube
O Freunde, mehr von diese Toene bitte
(tags: silly music video )
- IBM Just Put A Quantum Computer On The Cloud For Anyone To Use | Forbes
(tags: science computing coolstuff tech livinginthefuture internet )
- 5 Common Regrets and How to Avoid Them | Tiny Buddha
The top five common regrets of the dying: I was talking to a fascinating woman last night, who'd spent some time working in a "fast-track" nursing ward. Made me think of this, and then this article popped up on my feed this morning.
(tags: wellness woo life )
- Boldly going to television: First teaser for ‘STAR TREK’ series | One. Perfect. Shot.
Can I slingshot around the sun at high warp so this comes faster? No new information, except possibly a tantalizing hint when they say "new crews" plural. What I do know is that it probably isn't STAR TREK: EMPIRE, because I haven't sold it yet.
(tags: startrek tv coolstuff scifi nerd )
- What's the EU ever done for us? | YouTube #fb
Worth five minutes, although the conclusion is weak.
(tags: europe politics bloodytories news )
- Glass lift will take you to top of Humber Bridge | Hull Daily Mail
This actually looks surprisingly cool, for Hull.
(tags: news tech coolstuff )
- Abusive relationships: Trauma bonding | Julia Crane Counselling
TL;DR Stockholm Syndrome for relationships. I recognize a lot of this.
(tags: wellness mentalhealth relationships abuse )
- Mom, Dad, Grandma, and Grandpa | Lexical Items
Lexical drift for millennials. This article is totally on fleek.
(tags: language words zeitgeisty I_would_have_got_away_with_it_too_if_it_weren't_for_you_meddling_millennials )
- How women prepare for first dates | Lalajia's random recommendations
When I have a ladyfriend round I show them where the key is so that they can get out by themselves should they wish to do so. All of them, so far, have looked at me like I was odd.
(tags: dating gender feminism sexism )
- andrewducker | I've been contacted by the Twitter Legal Team
Paging Mrs. Streisand.
(tags: law internet socialmedia litigiousbastards news streisandeffect )
- Type III Galactic Societies apparently don’t exist | WIRED
I won't believe it. They're just hiding.
(tags: spaaace science astronomy )
Does anyone have a sofa available on Monday night, the 23rd? I'm an unassuming houseguest.
Also, anyone for tea/coffee/pints Monday afternoon/evening? Evening. Eeeeeevening. Not too late though. I have a train to catch Tuesday morning.
Pub Wednesday night?
And does anyone have a couch going spare?ETA: couch not required, gotta hotel.
I have a day off so I am taking a brief, hopefully sanity-restoring trip to the motherland. The train fare cost a hair over £50, so you'll be buying the drinks. However I can guarantee
witty appreciative conversation.
Reliable sources tell me that the Hoose sucks now. Is the regular meeting still there, or would Dagda or the 9A be a better bet?
- Rising furniture design - Tech Insider
This is pretty incredible from a topological standpoint---I love the table and chair and the occasional table---but the bowl is bloody terrible. All the gravy would fall out.
(tags: design video coolstuff )
- PORTFOLIO — NICK TANKARD ILLUSTRATION
This is gorgeous. Such meticulous shading. Reminds me of Piranesi's work.
(tags: art coolstuff )
- Iain Macwhirter: Shame on the SNP for choosing to park its conscience (From Herald Scotland)
I am not remotely surprised by this, just disappointed. It happened to the Lib Dems and now it's happening, in slightly less car-crash fashion, to the SNP. It will happen any time a party becomes mainstream and/or gets a sniff at the corridors of power. Radicalism is about pushing the envelope: it seems we need to start pushing a little harder again.
(tags: news politics opinion activism northofwatford )
- Take a look at "SwiftKey Keyboard"
Okay seriously, why did I take so long to install this. The leaking curve took twenty minutes and yes, I knew all about that typo there, I left it in for comedic effect. LAUGH DAMN YOU. Typing on mobile is so much more comfortable now; it's uncanny.
(tags: android tech coolstuff livinginthefuture )
- Why Beethoven rules supreme over Mozart | Torygraph
"Beethoven is simply on a different plane, when it comes to grandeur and the sublime." And "[c]ompared to Mozart and Haydn, his music is quite simply noisier"---I have been saying this for years. You can go on as much as you like about diminished fifths, but ultimately it is just that simple. Beethoven rocks your socks right off.
(tags: music opinion )
- Virtual reality is helping scientists to protect endangered jaguars | Mashable
(tags: livinginthefuture coolstuff tech news ecology )
- fuck, i need a tumblr for this shit • feministgamingmatters: feministgamingmatters: ...
"A text-replacer extension which corrects “pandering to [group]” to “being enjoyable for people who are not me.”" Yes.
(tags: blog sexism feminism intersectionality equality )
- Computational Hydrographic Printing (SIGGRAPH 2015) - YouTube
Damn but this is clever.
(tags: tech coolstuff video design )