Mon, Dec. 26th, 2016, 09:00 am
- Mad Friday part 2 | Manchester Evening News
The photographer who got that classic Renaissance shot last year has gone out on the town again. There is a gallery. I'm not sure whether he's some kind of genius savant, or whether people in Manchester just naturally fall over and/or drop things in perfect accord with the Golden Ratio.
(tags: art photography photos journalism booze britishness )
- Moscow, December 25 1991: the Last Day of the Soviet Union
Today it is twenty-five years since the end of the Cold War.
(tags: history coldwardinosaur books omgSo90s )
- This is the truth about the Berlin Christmas market terror attack | Mirror Online
Fleet Street Fox lays down some truths.
(tags: terrorism news fuckwits immigration racism )
- The Terrible, Mysterious Disease That Haunted the Age of Exploration
"...the way the disease colored the experience of exploration during the Age of Sail, shifting social relationships and affecting perceptions"
(tags: books science sailing history natureoftruth health )
- Why we must demand brands stop funding hate | Gay Star News
"[I]t’s not enough to just to not buy the papers anymore. We need to take positive action."
(tags: racism sexism homophobia journalism fuckwits activism handwringingLeftyGuardianistasFTW DailyMail solidarity )
- The movie that doesn’t exist and the Redditors who think it does | New Statesman
TIL about the Mandela Effect.
(tags: psych natureoftruth )
- 2016 in pictures: The best science images of the year | Nature
Ooh some of these are lovely. And some of them are just as depressing as the rest of 2016.
(tags: science news photography photos art )
- Rhythm of breathing affects memory and fear | Northwestern Now
"Northwestern Medicine scientists have discovered for the first time that the rhythm of breathing creates electrical activity in the human brain that enhances emotional judgments and memory recall." That's nice, but anyone with a passing familiarity with yoga could have told them that.
(tags: science news psych )
- The Science of Pranayama
Here's a book by Sri Swami Sivananda (publication date 1935), citing the Bhagavad Gita (publication date unclear but c. 5th--2nd century BCE), expressing the same idea.
(tags: health science books natureoftruth wellness woo )
- I'm a Scientist, and I Don't Believe in Facts | Scientific American
Poorly expressed, but a fair enough point. As it stands, though, this simply feeds the trolls. Someone needs to point out that the nature of the scientific method is no excuse for bloviating about evolution or climate change.
(tags: science opinion natureoftruth )
- A real Good Samaritan | BBC News
Quite sweet. Although I'm fairly sure that ASLEF used this as their go-to excuse for the following twenty years.
(tags: glurge writing society )
- How the traditional red telephone box is going 21st century | The Conversation
I'm still going to miss the K2.
(tags: nerd news livinginthefuture tech )